If you were a die hard TikTok fan, I empathize with your situation. But look at the bright side, Instagram has recently launched a short video service. With the introduction of Instagram Reels, the social media app has made an entry in the popular short video format.
After the ban on Chinese apps, Instagram Reels has a wonderful opportunity to fill the gap left behind by TikTok. Already Indian developers have attracted a lot of traffic since the ban has been enforced.
Both MX TakaTak and Mitron apps have 10M+ downloads on the Google Play store. Chingari has just received $1.3M funding from investors. So, there is a lot of action in the short video space.
Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, has the potential to attract TikTok users. Mainly because its own user base is massive, at more than a billion monthly users!
Through the post “What is Instagram Reels? How to download Instagram Reels?”, we will deep dive into the interesting aspects of the short video service.
What is Instagram Reels?
Instagram Reels is a video-music remix feature that Instagram has recently launched. This new feature has gone viral in India with the popular name “Reels”.
With this feature, you can easily create 15-second video clips and set background music to it. The same can be shared as Instagram Stories as well.
Instagram first released “Reels” in the Brazillian market for testing purposes. With the huge success of TikTok and exponential growth of short video apps, it was subsequently launched in India.
Instagram Reels Feature
If we talk about the Instagram Reels Feature, it allows users to record 15-second videos. You can use Instagram Filters and popular songs to make these videos interesting. A number of editing tools like timer, speed, rewind and align can help you finetune the videos.
The content you create on Reels gets shared by default on the Explore feed. Users have the option to post the content in their own grid. Besides there is a dedicated section on your profile for Reels. This allows users to reach the maximum audience.
You can share these clips in the Explore section, to increase its visibility. That way more people will watch your clips and as a result your followers will increase. As video clips, these reels can also be shared outside Instagram’s platform.
How to download Instagram Reels?
If you are looking to download Instagram Reels, let me inform you that it is integrated within the Instagram app. Reels is not a separate, standalone app. It is visible as part of the Instagram Stories Section.
Users can easily shoot 15-second videos with this feature and add music / AR effects to the content.
How to create Instagram Reels?
It is simple and easy to create Instagram Reels. Make sure you have updated your app and Reels is visible in your Stories section. Let’s learn about how to create Instagram Reels.
- Open the Instagram App.
- Tap on the Camera icon at the top-left corner.
- At the bottom you will have options like Live, Story and Reels. Tap on Reels.
- Click on the white circle icon to start recording the 15-second video.
- Click on the same white circle icon to stop recording the video.
- Before you start recording, you can add effects via icons which will be visible on your left.
- If you want to adjust your recording speed, you can click on the arrow icon on your right. This looks like a Play button. One can also record videos in slow motion from speeds 0.3x to 3x.
- Add effects to your videos by tapping on the smiley button and swiping right on the white circle icon. By doing this, you will see all the available effects and can choose accordingly. At the centre of the white circle, you should see the effect icon, tapping which you can start recording.
- Instagram Reels gives you the option to set a 3-second timer before you start recording your clip. Click on the timer icon on your left and set the clip duration (between 0.1 to 15 seconds), then click on Set Timer. When you start recording the video, you will see a 3-second timer on the screen.
- At the end you can add music as well. Click on the music icon on your left. The best part is you can also look at the lyrics of the song and use any part of the song in your video.
In TikTok, you could use a specific 30-second clip of the song. Instagram Reels allows you to use any favourite part of the song. You can add music before creating a lip-sync video or add a soundtrack after recording the video. These are some of the basic steps of how to create Instagram Reels.
Will Reels attract users?
Reels will definitely attract users. Instagram has more than 88 million active users in India. It happens to be one of their top markets. After the TikTok ban, Instagram has this huge opportunity to attract content creators to its platform.
Excellent Tips on how to become popular on Reels
Reels have to be funny, creative, real and a lot of fun. In a 15-second video, you can include the below points to make them popular.
- Make clips that have the perfect comic timing, that force people to laugh out loud instantly. Clips that are surprising and funny at the same time.
- Create videos that people can watch again and again and share it with their family and friends.
- Your content should be relatable, culturally relevant, inspiring and responsible.
- If you want your Reels to be popular, make sure you have a public account. In a private account, when you share your Reels in the Feed and Instagram Stories, they will vanish after 24 hours.
What you learned today?
I hope you liked this article on “What is Instagram Reels?”. I have made an effort so you find complete information on how to download Instagram Reels. So that you don’t have to go to other websites or look it up on the internet. If you have any doubts or improvement suggestions, please feel free to write them down in the Comments section below.
If you enjoyed reading the article or learned something new, please share on social media like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn by using the buttons on your left. Thank you so much for reading.